Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Going Final

I have been working towards my final show in September. So far I have found some dancers whom I will be meeting within the next couple of weeks. 
At college we have had a number of meetings and have finally allocated spaces for our shows, all within the theatre building. 
Here is my space plan:

I will build two rooms which will be used as performative spaces, where participants are going to be invited one by one (or two by two, still to be decided). There will also be an outdoor performative space, Dundonald playground, just opposite the college. And the nucleus of it all will be a meeting point at the foyer of the theatre, where audience members will be invited to read more about the piece and take a number  in order to participate. When their 'journey' is over, participants will be interviewed and filmed on what they have experienced and the footage will be put up on a show reel for new spectators to view. As this time there will be almost no communication between audience members during the performance, the feedback loop will take the form of digital recordings. On the other hand, the autopoietic feedback loop between performers and participants will be influenced by touch, putting spectators in a position of reconsidering the use and validity of this sense.


Here is a sketch of some of my starting point ideas as regards to spaces. I had thought of allocating a room for each sense, but considering that all our senses are connected and work together, even if some are shut, I think that inputs of different nature may work within the same space and trigger various responses from participants.




It feels great putting all my ideas together now, realising that I have a lot of material and ideas I can use from what I have produced during this year. Working towards the final show feels like just placing everything in a well-defined pattern, yet it holds the excitement of the new.

We have a short break in the next few weeks, as we have our final paper to finish along with a few more essays. So I will be working on my final theoretical paper along with the development of my final show. A nice thing about this is that it will all be done in the old fashioned manner of pencil and paper, as I will be away enjoying nature for a change. Yes, machinery stays home this time.
On my way to discovering Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment