Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Peeping Tom

Last Wednesday I saw another piece that incorporated performance and photographic images at the RCA. It was presented by artists Ralf Obergfell and Tony Hornecker.


What I found interesting about it was the installation of small construction spaces that were built in the gallery. Each one housed a drag queen in her cubicle, apparently in a nautural pose: sitting, whisper singing, dancing or just reading a book. 




The audeince was able to see the performers through little holes, all of different sizes and types, for example one of the little cubicles had magnyfing glass fit in the openings. It very much reminded me of my last piece and it was interesting to see how audience was eager to see what was in each cubicle. It really looked like we were invading somebody's private space, becasue the harder it was to see something, the more one wanted to see.


The presence of many different spaces created curiosity but after seeing the same type of situation in each of them, it was became a little pointless to peep as one could imagine what one would see. I would define it as a live installation piece, due to its repetitive dynamics.




I will reuse the hole wall again, in a different manner. But do I want a peeping Tom audience?

No comments:

Post a Comment